Sunday 31 July 2011

Five minutes with Sarah Davies

Name: Sarah Davies
Age: 16
Hometown: Rockferry/ Wirral
Occupation: student

Tell us a bit about yourself: I am a 16 year old model who is 5 foot 3inches and find it very hard to get work in the fashion industry due to my height. I love modelling and really want to do it as a job. I also love fashion, meeting new people and animals.


What sparked your interest in modelling? I wanted to gain confidence and self esteem and I felt that modelling would help me in improving my confidence.


Can you please give an account of your experience in the fashion industry and as a petite model? I have been involved in various fashion shows, 12 photography jobs, editorial work and a television appearance.


Did you face any challenges or setbacks? And if so could you please state what they were? YES – I have been rejected by agencies such as boss and premier, due to not meeting their requirements, i.e. height.


How did you overcome these challenges/setbacks? My mum helped me through them. She would support me and convince me that there are more opportunities out there.


Can you please give your opinion on the strict requirements that are present throughout the fashion industry (for example, height, weight and body shape)? I think it is really unfair that the industry want models to be of a height and size that everyday women aren’t for example, size 0 and 5foot 8. I think they should give every shape and size a chance to show what they can do. It would be better if they had real women in the magazines to show young people that being a healthy size is the way forward.


Why do you feel that it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle? In order to stay healthy it is important to eat a healthy diet and exercise the right way ensuring that you don’t skip meals and definitely don’t crash diet or yoyo by doing so your body will be better off.


Is there anything else you would like to add? I have suffered anorexia for 4 years. I am in recovery and at a healthy weight. I am finding it hard but I get more work and compliments with me now being at a healthy weight.

Thank you Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment