Thursday 14 April 2011

Nicole Abbott Promotes Perfectly Petite in an Interview for Creative Boom

Five minutes with... Nicole Abbott


Nicole Abbott is currently in her second year at the
University of Dundee studying child nursing. However,
acting and fashion have interested her from an early age
and are still her passions. Approximately five years ago whilst
acting she was asked if she'd ever considered being a model.
At that stage in her career Nicole was quite shy in front of the
camera even though she was confident on stage.

But she sought some advice and decided to give it a go.
Her first shoot was in London so she took her Gran along
for moral support. It went well, and she discovered a newfound
passion that grew stronger and stronger every day. Now Nicole
models throughout Europe as well as in Vancouver. We caught up
 with Nicole to hear more about what she's up to...

What are you currently up to? Are there any exciting projects ongoing?

My current dream is to be a successful model worldwide. I have formed a plan that at the moment involves getting my name out there with people at all levels in the industry throughout Europe. The next couple of months on my calendar involve a lot of travelling to begin my quest. As a petite model myself I have found it challenging when competing for work with taller models that the fashion industry tend to prefer. This has made me even more determined to succeed and I happily compete against taller models as I believe that everyone should be given the same chance. People in the fashion industry say that they use tall models to create a fantasy and an illusion but they forget that the average woman is 5’4". In my career I have met numerous petite models and members of the public who share the same vision as myself. This inspired me to found Perfectly Petite, a group for petite models who share a similar vision to myself. I aim to promote petite modelling through local events such as fashion shows.

Who or what inspires you?

I am particularly motivated by models of a similar height who have made great progress in the fashion industry. These models have managed to succeed whilst combating the various barriers that petite models come up against in the fashion industry. This drives me into putting in as much effort as possible. Hopefully one day I may enjoy some success similar to what they have had.

What's your best project/work to date?

To this date I have made several great achievements that I am most proud of. For my Miss Earth 2010 campaign I promoted environmental issues and recycling throughout my local community. I put a lot of planning and effort into this project. I produced a magazine documenting everything that I had carried out in my local community. I have worked with a number of industry professionals in order to create my current portfolio. I am most proud of what I have achieved from all of the photoshoots and planning. I am most grateful to everyone involved in giving me a portfolio of such a high standard.

Anything new going on? Or in the pipeline?

At this moment in time I am focusing on broadening my horizons in my modelling career. I am trying to make a contact base throughout Europe with my main focus being on working in England at the moment. However, I am always happy to shoot back home in Scotland. I am currently planning to do a calendar for 2012 along with other models from Perfectly Petite. I hope to arrange for the calendar to arrange funds for charity. I am also planning on doing a fashion show at some point in the future.

When you're not working, what do you like to do?

When I am not at university or doing photoshoots I spend a lot of time networking, contacting people in the industry, searching for ideas, developing my ideas and planning photoshoots. It can often be a lengthy process but when I receive the images it is more than worth the amount of time input beforehand. I also enjoy to take some time out as and when I can. I believe in keeping fit and eating healthily. I regularly visit the gym to stay in a good shape. I enjoy travelling (although this often involves a photoshoot) and exploring new places. I also enjoy spending time with my boyfriend, chinchilla and rabbit.

Finally, what tips or advice could you give to other creatives, just starting out?

Don't give up or change for anyone, stay true to yourself and fight for what you believe in. It may be tough but if you stay focussed in the end it will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment